Sunday, December 7, 2014

The tarc ultra

I dnf'd, first time i have done that, and i am kind of ok with it? My legs were not happy with me. My it band got very sore around mile 10, but i was already about 2 miles in to my second loop, and i was not hoping to turn around. I at least got my 2 laps, so my first journey into ultras did not go as planned. But i started real strong, just faster than i had planned. Most of my body wanted to keep moving, just need to work on the hip flexors, it was supposed to rain all day, and be mid 40's but it was actually not really raining until the second loop that i ran, it was a small race, but an awesome time with awesome people, everybody was smiling and encouraging each other on course, and at aid stations. Some things i will keep in mind for next time: different pack, ( the looks i got for wearing my ruck bullet) i was told it was too heavy and Try not to be sick (luckily it was just a head cold). Also work on a race that is flatter, the constant rolling hills were asking to break those unprepared for  the millage. Even with all that happening, i will be back at it again next year. I can not stress how welcoming the environment is at tarc, they are awesome people i only knew a few people there, but everybody was super nice, and helpful, which as i was shivering was awesome when one of the volunteers wrapped a blanket around me! the idea of everybody chipping in with snacks is awesome, they had hot soup, (that really hit the spot!) i do not know if this is the world of all ultras, or just tarc, but it was an awesome experience. not completing the race was a big fear, and day of, seeing how warm people were, it did not feel like a horrible loss, but like i tried my best, and that is what mattered! it really helped as i was getting ready to drop out, to see a woman, who just walked right up, and was just like "i'm dnfing" so casual, at that moment i realized i was just making myself anxious over nothing, it took away all the stress, and i felt good with my achievement.


I did record my first lap, probably too fast to maintain for 32 miles, considering how hard this course is, i was very happy at the speed, it was about a minute or two off my pr for this loop.

Oh yeah, almost forgot this year, they did a great job with marking the course, i heard people got lost last year, and this year it was really hard to get lost! so it was awesome to see not only a great cmmunity, but also they made improvements over previous years!

Overall, i had a blast, and will use this to add to my determination to do better in the future!
Until next time
Keep training
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment