Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Baystate Marathon 2015



So last year about this time, I posted to facebook (I have a several friends who run marathons, and therefore know more than I do about the different ones) asking for advice on a first marathon. I was told by several friends, all experienced runners, that Baystate would be perfect. It was a very memorable experience, and I was very happy to have done it! It is pretty flat, especially coming from a trail running/ocr beginning. Now it did not have high hills, but they had a few inclines, my gps is not the most fancy, but it was just under 300 ft gain/loss. So this course was one down and back, one loop around a river and then back to the start. They had a 1/2 marathon option as well, but for the most part they were on separate routes. The left side of the course was the one that had small hills, and then the other side of the river was as flat as can be, great intro to the distance. Also the mileage was marked on the street, water/gatoraide stations all over the place, perfectly placed for the distances, and one of the stations gave out Guus! I saw a wile ago somewhere on facebook, a post that said running is as much a spectator sport as well. I had never given it much thought before the marathon. Now having run a marathon, I could not agree more! All the happy faces were amazing. From the awesome volunteers, (seriously, in costume and having fun, and cheering you on was great!) to the people gathered at good vantage spots, like the bridge where you turn to loop back. I saw pure awesomeness in the form of signs from spectators. One of my favorites was something like at least your not Walkin, with a picture of Christopher Walkins face. There were plenty of other great signs, and great energy around. At one point where you turned back from the farthest point in the race, you run past residential houses, there were people all dressed up, one in a bee suit (and a themed sign) and another in a lobster suit as well (again with a cool sign I think) they had water as well. I have said many times with endurance events, you really need to focus on the smiles, it really helps make everything better! They had signs all other the place with words of encouragement, my favorite though, had to be at mile 20, it was a painted brick wall on the ground and bricks flying and it said push through the wall. Now for those you you that do not now, the wall is when you body just stops running, and everything becomes hard. I chuckled and grinned, as I had not hit the wall...... yet. Then mile 21 came, and man I had to walk! I made great time going up to the half (1:58) and then slowed down each mile after, but man when 21 hit, it was bad. I walked and instantly felt my legs get 3 to 4 times heavier, and dam near impossible to run or keep decent pace. I was able to keep moving, and kept trying to run periodically, which I did not do all that well. I had the energy to randomly run but never more than 1/10 of a mile at a time. So that meant whenever I past volunteers, or spectators I ran, and then walked,I felt defeated, I had a lofty goal of 4 hrs, and a cap of 4 1/2, I got 4:48, I am happy I finished, and happy I learned a lot from this race. I learned that I can carbo load right, and that I do not need nutrition for marathons ( I will still carry some just in case, better to be prepared). I had 3 Guus in the first half, and they never sat right, and then some blocks, again, never sat right. All the training, all the racing it all paid off this year. Now to keep up the hard work and run a charity bib for Boston, and hopefully shave off time from Baystate. Now to figure out how to push that wall back about 5 miles, and work on my distance speed! Another thing about this race the tracking options from ireslutlslive were cool, they offered email or text updates, the texts were behind, but the email were accurate, the text may be off for me because my cell died and got weird reuslts from it, and did not get finish until a wile after I plugged my phone in. The splits were crazy detailed: The timing locations will be located at marathon miles 3, 10K(6.2), 8.5, 13.1, 16.3, 30K(18.6) & 23; and at half marathon miles 3.7 & 9.9.  [The odd looking splits are due to the course loops]. I was bummed that they dropped the unlimited pasta dinner post race but they still had bananas, water, thermal blankets, pbj (on white or wheat) soup (vegan or not) and chips.

Also a few other points, picking up your bib before the race is key, Lowell  shuts down around the route, so getting your bib is harder, and makes it easier, plus get there early because it will take a lot of time to park and use the bathroom, and bag check if you want it. Also Pro tip (not that I am a pro by any stretch of the imagination) take the next day off from everything you will not want to leave your bed, legs did not want to work wile I was at work.

Course map

So now to take what I have learned, improve, and apply it all to my next marathon, hopefully Boston, I know I will be hunting for a charity bib, I have looked at a few places, just waiting to hear back, fingers crossed.

So until next time
Stay active
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment