Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Boston Marathon

So, a wile back, after doing carry the fallen I decided I HAD to do the Boston Marathon! I had played with the idea in my head for a few years, but never decided because it was only in 2015 that I started to take the long distance/endurance stuff appealing, and more importantly, doable.

Now I have tried a couple of ultras, I have dnf'd my first 2, but had a world of fun, and am determined to complete one, and then continue to do at least one a year, it is a great environment, great people, and shows you what you can do. So, seeing as how ultra marathons are very different from marathons, they require different running styles, unless you are just that good, I am not, at least not yet. I say this to emphasize the fact that my only fear going into the Boston marathon has been raising the money. I have on more than one occasion done a marathon distance in a day, but by no means at a fast pace, but the distance got done. To prepare for Boston, I am doing the regular training thing (by no means by the books training with schedules and such, but getting in runs each week, and increasing my long runs when the weather agrees. Hoping that with my training for the ultra beast in killington, and as many miles in the racelocal competition and regular training runs I will be ready for Baystate, and then gain speed over the winter for Boston. 

So now my thought goes to bibs. I do not believe that I will qualify on my first marathon, that is not my goal, qualifying times are ridiculously fast, I wish I was fast enough. So that means charity bib (unless any of my awesome readers have an entry kicking around they want to give away, doubtful, but some things you just have to say) and they can be hard to get, and cost a bunch. Luckily if you live in a town that the marathon goes through then you can request one at your town selectman's office. The BAA gives out bibs to other organizations that you can get in other ways, not fully versed in how it all works, still really new to this concept. I know of some charities that I may get try to get a bib from. One thing is that they are just starting to come out, most organizations do a lottery style to dole out bibs. 

So now, I start looking into what charity has bibs, and start applying for them. I really want in, and now to hope I luck out and get a doable number to raise. I was told of one charity that I could apply to, and the minimum they ask for is $7,500. That number is waaaaay out of my comfort zone the thought of not meeting the goal, and the money coming out of my pocket is really scary, luckily I have a few ideas, but not a lot of faith in my ability to raise that much.

So keep me in mind when I get the bib, if you have any extra money, or fund raising ideas will be more than appreciated.

Until next time
Stay active
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment