Wednesday, November 25, 2015

F.I.T. Chllenge Do Epic fifth challenge

So for the fifth race from this company, another race at diamond hill park in RI. So as each race passes that they put on, the harder it gets, and in such a good way. All the hype leading up to this race is that it would be the hardest 5k ocr course you will do! This is highly possible, it certainly is the hardest 5k ocr I have done to date, so yes, it is true, at least until the next one that is.

So they have the typical walls through the course, of various kinds inverted, 3ft, and up, over/under, through. ect. But the exciting wall is the bran new to OCR Floating wall! so cool, and unique. I loved it, but it has work to be done to make it more secure. It was an incredibly windy day, and one of the supports came louse and was fixed before the day was over but still needs to be noted, I do not believe anybody got hurt, but it still needs to be tweaked. They also had atlas stone throws, bars to raise over head, wreck bag carries, rope climb, double ups, peg board, see saws.

They also had a hurc hoist, but as the day went on, maybe 1030 or 11 am, the buckets broke and had to be taken down, It seems that people had been letting the buckets slam, so just one thing to work on I guess.

One of the special additions to the race, something I had been looking forward to playing on for a wile now. The Destroyer! Yes the obstacle that was at OCRWC, and really cool, and really hard! For the elite wave they were not allowed the foot blocks, but after they went through the open waves were able to get the help.



Another notable thing is the rig that they created, you had 2 options. The left side, started off with rock grips, maybe 5 ft across, then monkey bars for another 5 ft, then Tarzan ropes, then 2 more bars, and then up and over a cargo net. The right side had just monkey bars to straight bars, on a chain to the cargo net. All that just before the end!!! after this, short sprint to a angled slatted wall, then the finish line.
The rig set up

The course was tweaked for this race, so the one hill, the highest point of the park, we went up maybe 4 times, I forget, it all blended together, but the course was almost exactly a 5k, my watch got 1/10th of a mile difference, and it is not 100% accurate, and elevation gain was said to be about 1000 ft per lap.

The fun about this race, is that you are encouraged to run as many times as you want to! untimed laps are free, but if you want timed laps, it is only 10 bucks per bib, (which is better than the big name race btw). Also, if you did 3, 4, or 5 laps then you got an award for it. and they were cool! I wanted to get 5 again, (I did in April) but 4 left me feeling just as bad as the 5 did from before, really rough course.

Those double ups can be hard,  good thing you can get help
Over shoulder stone throws
Awards for 3,4,and 5 laps
Also, for this race, there was mandatory obstacle completion for elite waves! I love that stuff, except with the destroyer, and the rig, I am so happy I ran this race open! So if you failed you had to do a penalty and then try again. For example, just before the rig, there was the stone throw (over your shoulder) and if you failed the rig you had to go back and throw the stone. The destroyer, it was immediately after the wreck bag carry, and if you failed you did the wreck bag again! (it was a steep hill). I only paid so much attention to the rules for elite as I knew I would not be running the wave, but you get the idea!
Also he has a great sense of humor!





So all in all, this is a blast, and easily harder than a spartan sprint, especially in the northeast region, and if you push for multi laps, then it is harder than supers, and some beasts, trust me on that! I felt worse after 4 this fall than I did after 5 in the spring, and worse than I felt after the NJ Beast, and certainly the spartan sprint/super in mass. Also remember, can't do an obstacle  no problem, want to get help, no problem, this course is hard as hell, but also oh so much fun! So why are you not doing this race, or #Racelocal yet????

So until next time
Stay active
Stephen

2 comments:

  1. I've got to see if they have these around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stays in RI but if you two are up in april or the fall ot is a blast!

      Delete