Monday, November 30, 2015

Savage Games November Edition

So, depending on how long you have been reading my blog posts, you may know about Savage Games at Brooklyn Boulders in Somervile. In case you have not, I went there in the spring this year, reviews are here for March and April. (Feel free to read them and catch up) This has a completely different feel than they had in April, way more thought and effort were put into it! Many of the issues are no longer a problem at all. I will try to address the problems vs the solutions in this post as best I can. I was pretty hash, and was upset with the moves that had been made, but I feel as it was my honest opinion, and I will keep the trend of how I really feel, and summarize the morning as best as I can. Also, I must note, that I went back after receiving a request to come back and give them another shot, they were very nice about it, after reading  my blog, and asked me in October if I would come out for the event, I had to push it off because I had work in October, but here is how November worked out. (they gave me a free entry to try them out again, that being said, it did not effect my thoughts on the morning)

They started it like before with a warm up for a bit, it absolutely got the blood flowing, this after ensuring that all people were on a 5 person team.


 THE OBSTACLES:
cargo net, one at a time go over it
This does not even show how high the rope goes
Jump over boxes
Parkour! No ground allowed




















There were no more problems with obstacles! seriously, any for problems I wrote about having before are GONE! no more louse rope traverse, no more threading needles, no more haiku station, selfie station way gone too (that was actually kinda fun, all the goofy things you could use). No more bench crawl, basically, they really knocked it out of the park with these things, and probably did a little wile ago. the team I joined had been there a few times, and enjoyed it, never once complained about something being off, or disappointed, just fun, and it really was! There was only 1 ninja warrior style obstacle, and it was a blast, harder than when I was there in April. There was no more negative attitude from a "volunteer" at the the obstacles (see before about the attitude from the ninja warrior section in April). As always before the Parkour guys are awesome! I hit my knee on a box we had to jump to, did not notice until I was told I was bleeding, I blew it off, and thought I was not anymore, and about a minute later, I was given paper towels, bandaides and a antibacterial wipe for my cut, seriously they were awesome about it. The Parkour obstacles were great again, climbing over and through a metal contraption. Rope climb is back, and I really love rope climbs, especially when they put up the high rope climb, they had a 45 ft high rope I believe they said it was, and 2 others that were maybe 10/12 ft high, I did not ask about those, but they were kinda normal hieght for like an ocr.
Parkour! ground allowed, there was a wall to jump at the end as well

Tires!!!
Several stations to climb the walls, various levels of difficulty, and, a challenge area where it was capture the flag! There was a "spear throw" you had to knock yoga blocks off of orange road cones. There was one they called the Arnold pose, think just above parallel squat, on the balls of your feet, heels off the ground, really works on those quads! then a peg board that is crazy hard. A jump section where you jumped from dense rubber mats wile holding for about 3 seconds on each (or the last) box. Tire carry, as a group you carried a giant truck tire along the path made by smaller regular car tires. (before it was a tire flip, they added, bran new tires to it, careful of the nubs when you carry, they may leave a mark) Tire pull up, think Hurc hoist, single pulley way above your head.
Ninja warrior, don't fall, I love this thing!
Tire pull & Bar hop














Stand on the slack line throw a tennis ball


race to the flag












Fancy juice and snack
seriously, try this
Also this time around they had plenty of time to go to every station, and have a cool down. They also had a chat about upcoming events, and put out a pole for when they should do the next event, which is smart, this is fun, and can only do so many people at once, I am glad they are thinking it through, just check dates as now it is no longer a set Saturday of the month. they discussed classes and specials, and how some of the people there were personal trainers and were willing to take on new clients. afterwards there were free snacks were provided, they were good. freshly made juice (fancy ones too like kale and other stuff) and pudding made with chia seeds, almond milk, and fresh fruit! they had somebody set up a massage table, and a beer vendor giving out samples of a local, Boston brewed beer, they were good, lager based company. I am happy to see local shops serving goodies, and beer, and a few other things I noticed, it got kinda crowded quick, and I had to be to work, so I did not stay long. But it was a fun environment, all changes made to vastly improve the whole experience! If you go just make sure you sign up online as it is still 35 in advance and 45 day of, still pricey for basically a 2 1/2 hour workout. But they have a competition side, you can earn a free month membership, and there are snacks and stuff, so it is not too bad. If you are interested, their web site is here.

So until next time
Stay active
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment