Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Fun Runs, and Ultra Training

So this past saturday (nov. 1st) i ran a local ocr, Panic in the Dark, it is a zombie run the day after Halloween, it was a blast. It was quick for me, but i got to see a bunch of cool zombies all through the course and some friends all through the course. They really had a good make up crew, and the people that were playing the zombies really enjoyed themselves, you could tell. after racing that course i am looking forward to the next race they put on, blizzard blast, one of the many cool races to take place in the winter in new england!

Then Today was interesting for me, i have been running through the fels reservation twice a week for about a month now in preparation for my ultra marathon (T.A.R.C. at the fels) i was talked into signing up for this race that will take place on dec. 6th by a friend, who explained no pressure, just sign up and see what you can do, since then i am determined to finish, i will have from sunrise to sunset to do my 32 miles. I am lucky because i have 2 friends that live 5 min from the reservation, that i run with each of hem once a week. 8 mile loop (unless we get lost and add mileage) on top of my own running, and other training. my friends are not new to the ultra scene, i am, and am very thankful that i can lean on them for advice and runs. I mostly run in new balance trail runners that i find on sale, as i cannot afford many other options. i will be sure to post a review on the ones i am using for my runs, after the ultra, and the pair that got me through all the races this year. In the time that i have been training i have been worried that i would not make it across the finish line for my ultra, as it is, i do not know if i will be able to, but i know i will try my best! and i will have plenty of friends running that day that i will be able to share smiles and hugs with that will put me in a good place. i got distracted for a little bit there. Today was an interesting, (but good day) because before work i ran one of the loops around the fels twice, and then in circles until i reached a full 12 miles, because it is better than stopping at 11.4 miles. This made work very interesting, left knee pretty sore, legs sore, hip flexors pretty banged up too. And just in case you are wondering, yes i did stretch a bunch, but my body is still getting use to the distances i am making it do, and in all honesty i am probably not doing the mileage increase correct, but overall for the mileage i am putting down, i fell pretty good about my development. That is one of those things i need to remind myself about as time goes on, and i explore this world of fitness and how little i know, and how much i want to know. Luckily it feels like a natural progression, into a great mystery of a future where i will keep making the challenges harder as i go along my path, nudged by some of my bad ass friends that tell me all about the next thing to keep on my radar.

*Important note to add, untill i was nudged to sign up for my ultra i had never run more than a 10k distance, i can not compare an ocr to a trail run, and just today with the 12 is my new record for just running. and had no intention of doing a marathon either. now however i will be doing a marathon next year amongst many other awesome things

Until next time
Keep training
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment