Monday, June 15, 2015

Samurai Sprint Review

So this is the second event that this company has done, I missed out on the fun from the first, so I was not going to let that happen again. Especially after hearing about all of the fun that it was last year from friends that ran it. The obstacles are challenging, you have the typical walls, and heavy carries, and rope climbs.

But I love traverse ropes, they have ninja warrior type obstacles a reverse stair case, and a swinging bar that you leap from  to a sideways bar, I love a challenge, and this race has stuff you will not see at a spartan! There was also a slip and slide (always fun!) He also had a box jump obstacle, you jumped up about5 steps. That obstacle seemed like it needed work, it did not inspire confidence jumping down, but if that is the worst thing I can say, it is a good thing.

They had a typical 10 dollar parking, they did not have waivers on race day, but they did send out several emails to inform us to bring our own though, which is nice to give the heads up twice in the week leading up to the race, it (sort of) makes up for not having it.



They also have a lot to offer in the perks department: (Copied from the email)
FREE Services:
  • There will be FREE CHAIR MASSAGES by Mary Lou.  She is great and helped me through many injuries. 
  • Health Source Chiropratic  will also be offering the following services including stretching, muscle work, RockTape (kinesiology tape), and foam rolling.
  • We also have FREE product from Muscle Milk and Hint Water.
 So to be fair, the massage table was not there, however, the chiroprator, was awesome! He is very knowledgeable, and explained what he was doing wile he was fixing you, he was very nice as well. He was also able to help out a friend who was hurting worse than me. He was also tapig people up, all free of charge, and with a smile.


 One thing that i really want to make clear here is this. A very big reason that I am happy with smaller races, and the whole #racelocal movement is that a bunch of that money goes to charity! Here is a post from Facebook, from FIT challenge


 I have spoken with Steve the RD about the multi-lap donation money. He would like to donate ALL the proceeds that come in from extra laps to the Greater New Bedford Suicide Prevention Coalition as this organization has special meaning to him. F.I.T. Challenge will match the donation amount received by you folks up to $500 for this very worthy organization and cause. Again, this is NOT required but ALL the money raised will be donated! Can't WAIT to see you all tomorrow! Its going to be a BLAST!!!

And then post race details
47 extra laps $470 brought in, plus our donation gives $1,000 to The Greater New Bedford Suicide Prevention Coalition! AMAZING my friends just amazing! THANK YOU!!!
(sent from FIT Challenge. Fyi there were about 500 runners that day, so if you ask me that is a great number considering how small, and new a company this is


That, on top of a fun event, is a large reason as to why everybody should really take a look at these smaller races, For small companies to pony up that kind of cash, i feel like that is more than some of the big guys give away to charities, i could be wrong, but I have more faith in the people in the smaller races, they are nice, and humble people, that know how to give back!

So I would really love for any readers out there to seriously look into the smaller companies, they are usually cheaper, kinder, and put their money back into the communities. I am so happy that race local came around so that I can learn about all these cool races in my back yard.

Also One of the fun things I feel like I do not always get the chance to do is the fun lap, my last lap, I was hurt, and most of my friends were tired from the extra laps that they did. So we all went kind of slow, mostly walking, and playing on the obstacle. The great company, from at least 6 of my friends, really put the smile on all of our faces, as we played on the obstacles, and really brought back that social aspect to these races. This was absolutely a highlight of the day, I have said this before, and will say it again. Friends help make the miles pass by quickly. And any race (or time spent regardless as to how) with my fellow new englnd spahtens, makes for a wonderful experience. 

To check out their web cite click here

So until next time
Keep training
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment