Monday, June 1, 2015

#whyIrace



So recently spartan race has asked the question why do you race. This is an interesting question, with a long answer. I first started racing to see what I had in me. I had just started getting back into shape, now I wasn't fat, just a few extra pounds, but it had been a wile since i was in shape, and I wanted to change it. Then I started working out with a friend, and shortly after i heard about the race in amesbury ma, back in 2013. So in 2012 the price was too high, and I spent the next year prepping myself for a bran new experience, i went in knowing nothing about what I would face, and it was fun. Shortly after that first race, i found my racing team, the New England Spahtens, and now I do it to improve my times, and hang out with so many friends that I met along the way. So on top of running all the laps with carious friends, or on my own, i never have to run alone if i do not want to. And running with friends is an absolutely wonderful experience. So on top of learning new tricks on course, making new and lasting friendships, I discovered how awesome the local ocr scene is. New England is home to races all year long, and you can race almost every weekend. You have some winter ones that are such fun like blizzard blast, or challenging like polar beat challenge. The spring you can race every weekend, i just did 3 months of races every weekend, and all within 2 hours (or so) of my house. So now after almost 2 years of racing I do it to push my limits, making each race longer and longer, and race local has been a big part of that, challenging me to out down as many miles as i possibly can each week, and with a big grin on my face as i find my new strength. So i guess i race for a whole lot of reasons, but basically now it is my escape from life, it is my therapy, it is my joy, it is the most fun I have all week!

Now as I write this I think a out my most ultra, it is an 88k in vt, I have no idea what I am doing, but luckily (or not, depends how you define the word) those friends of mine that I was talking about help me along my way, as I transition my focus each race, i have plenty of friends that do ultras that help me out win a smile on their face.   So a simple question with an answer full of over sharing but hey its my story and I hope you enjoyed it

No comments:

Post a Comment