Monday, June 1, 2015

Infinitus 88k DNF Recap


Pre race
Post 30

So this past weekend I had my second shot at an ultra (the story of my first ultra here), it is called Infinitus, from the awesome people at Endurance Society. There were many options to run in this race. You could choose from an: 8k, 88k, 888k, 48hr, and 72 hr events. The 88k i think had about 10 days to complete it (and somebody actually did), the 88k had 24hrs, the 48hr had to complete 100 miles and you get a belt buckle, 72hr needs 150 miles or the buckle. There were 3 courses on the race, all centered around a figure 8 course. The figure 8 was a 10 mile loop, and a 16 mile loop closely connected, and centered around Blueberry Hill Ski Center (in Goshen, VT) where everything was set up from, it is where you had your drop box, bathrooms, tents, parking, and a grill set up for the after party. They also had water, and plenty of food at the base. This place was incredible, such a fun day. So for the 8k there was a shorter course, obviously, but I do not know much about that course as I did (or tried to do) the 88k.

 The 8 and 88k started with a bang, literally


The 88k course started with a 30 mile "run" through the mountains, starting on the catamount trail for a bit, and then to blood route and back to the inn. there were about 4 aid stops (2 you saw twice, one of which was only water), which were well placed through the course. From the Ski center it was 10 miles to the infamous bloodroot, then 10 miles in a loop, then back the 10 miles you ran there.

 There was one point early on were the whole field of runners got lost, just before the first first aid station, so there was about 50 of us, but we found our way back, it wasn't too bad, maybe about1/2 a mile. Luckily that was the only main course marking problem, and Andy was on trail, checking in on us, and he asked us at several times where we got lost, and he even went back and marked the course some more, he really is awesome, and a great reason to do any of the races that the Endurance Society puts on. Also seeing how some of those runners were going fast up the mountain, and then even faster down, was crazy! I was very jealous, my quads would not have lasted for too long if I tried to do that!

Then  once back at the Ski center, you o to the 10 mile loop, and then a 16 mile loop. Now around mile 15 or so, I felt hot spots on the balls of my feet. Then over the next 5/10 miles, with all the unavoidable mud and water on course, it turned into giant blisters. and on the last bit of road (about a 1.5 miles from the lodge to the trail) as I was hobbling back, one of them popped, yeah, that didn't feel good at all. But I new when I felt them miles before, as they grew in size that I would DNF (did not finish) this race, all I could think about was getting back to the Inn and getting my feet fixed! One of the many reasons I love ultra runners! They are the nicest bunch, and there were many conversations about how bad our feet were, and I got help from people that I had just met that race. Such support, and from some of the amazing people that were doing the 888k, and were hurting as it was. Runners continue to be some of the best people on the planet. I have noticed that the longer/harder the race the nicer they are. Road runners, trail runner, ocr, and then ultra runners, they just get increasingly kinda, and cooler attitudes and outlooks on life. It was pretty cool to be talking with some of them, and the way that everybody was talking about 100 mile races that they do on a regular basis was awesome.


Post 30 semi muddy miles later
And Something that was brought to my attention recently, there was a blogger out there that put out an entire post basically slamming anybody that has a DNF on record because he has never done that, and that he is some badass tri athlete according to his post. Now i only read part of it (it was long, and condescending) and i am no wimp, and truly believe that it is a part of our duties as humans to build people up! I personally love that i get the chance through racing and workouts to help people improve there self image, because it can be a hard thing to get, and harder to keep. I personally think that you can learn a whole lot from a DNF, I have now "Failed" 2 races, the first was hard to swallow at first, but with support from friends, I took it as a learning experience, and went into my second ultra with more prep, and more knowledge. Thanks to PLENTY of very kind friends, sharing the wisdom that I desperately needed for the race, and which also helped tremendously calm my nerves about the race! and even though I did not finish, and my feet were sore from giant blisters

a whole bunch of amazing athletes
So What I would love for you to take from this experience is this, you should always try to find some ways to get out of your comfort zone, regardless of what it is, an ultra, lifting heavier, whatever, just something scarier, it helps you grow as a person. And yes, being on a 30 mile loop was out of my comfort zone, largely because I wanted to do it fast, (I have a large history of hiking) as well as the other miles i had hoped for. But I did get a new distance record, probably just over 30, hiked mostly, ran maybe 1/4 and in about 10 hrs. For the record, i got a ride for about 1/2 mile from the Inn, in perfect timing, right when my blister had popped, thank god, it got way more painful then, and my hobbling got incredibly worse. But help came pretty quick, I got help from a new friend, in the form of epsom salt bath, and foot car, wile another friend shared her roasted chicken, to say I was in heaven is an understatement, going from pain, to relaxing, and back to chatting with my other friends. Then more foot care from a talented athlete, and just enjoyed the company in the lodge, wile the rain came down hard, and it got packed. So keep learning from each experience, and ignore all the negatives, running is a great way to do that, and the longer you run the more fun, with the right people, it makes a world of difference, as the miles pass you by, you can easily louse track of how many you have gone, it is by far one of the best things about running in my opinion.

So until next time
Keep pushing your limits
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment