Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Busy, crazy, sleepless week with all the fun!

So June 19/20 was an interesting weekend for me, I had a goal of a hurricane heat (recap here), 2 laps around the super (recap here) on Saturday, and then 2 more laps around the super on Sunday. Now you might say, why would a sane person think to do so much stuff in one weekend? Well (have we met, sanity is questionable, but that is what makes life fun, right?) I want to do the Killington ultra beast, so I need to start pushing myself, more so than i have, I would rather approach this head on, with a good chance, luckily, I have a good friend that is going to do it with me, and we plan to push each other along. So I strongly feel that it would have been doable, but alas, I failed my attempt. Now I did not do this smart, but I also did not have much choice in the matter. Due to insomnia (and packing for a long weekend), I had 4 hours of sleep or less from Tuesday night through Saturday night. So that is 4 nights in a row, of no real sleep. I also spent Thursday, and Friday building the super course, and the hurricane heat let me leave my shift early, just enough time to change (at my trunk, I love that race weekends it is normal to chat with people in your boxers, or even meeting new people) and get my gear ready for the hh. Also, in the beginning when we did the ridiculous number of push ups, because of the speed, and not being in shape enough, by 20ish I felt my triceps tighten instantly, so I knew I was so not in the right shape, I have been slacking too much. So I am writing this because I like to note my experiences, and also learn from my mistakes, and maybe somebody else can learn from my mistakes. I had also been fighting something since Monday. Also, my sleep post record length hurricane heat, was about 3, in my car, my bed plans fell through (stuff happens, at least my car was warm). But ya know what was cool? Wile running the fire wood to it's home by the finish line, a nice little pick me up, a surprise, one of the people watching us, around 1030pm, is a good friend. His few words "I am proud of you buddy" was a nice addition to my night, and put a smile on my face. My main bummer though, my shoes prevented me from doing my second lap wile I had the energy to do it on Saturday, after my first lap, (they were giving me blisters on my arches). Skipping the lap was annoying because I figured it would help me guarantee that I could do the 2 laps on Sunday. Saturday night I got  sleep in my bed and a nap in my car before heading home, a nap at the team tent, and most of the day on my couch half asleep. Then Sunday, after feeling mostly rested, at 5am my body ached so much telling me that I had no business getting up and doing anything. I was looking forward to running with team Ilene that day, for the first time, but I will have to wait for another day. Some days you need to forget about everything else, and just rest, do nothing, or eventually your body will do it for you. Sunday was one of those days that my body one, and was completely exhausted. So If I can blog about my successes, why not blog about my failures as well? Also this is a warning to make sure that you take time for recovery, as well as rest, Rest is when your body makes your gains, as it builds itself up stronger than before, no rest = no gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment