Sunday, July 19, 2015

Tri Obstaclon Review




So, This event, is very unique, and awesome. It is basically a triathlon, and a challenging one at that. So you start with a 7 mile bike ride, part of it was on the farm, fairy narrow track, and very challenging due to the soft ground, and the inclines, there were a few places that most people had to walk their bike or fell off of it. Then around the roads for a while, some if it was paved, most of it was not, a whole bunch of dirt/rocky roads. A whole mess of hills on the course, and man, those hills were hard! The hills are so bad on the roads, that I was beyond pleased that I was able to stay on my bike the whole way through, It got really rough on my quads. Now to be honest, I work on my quads, but it has been a wile since I rode my bike constantly, and it was generally agreed that the bike riding portion was ridiculously hard (so glad it was not just me!). Then the last bit of the bike ride was through a back yard, very technical, and oh so challenging to do. It rained a bunch the night before, and the woods just before the water was super muddy in places (the ocr course was super dry, except for the places that are always muddy). Also some of those down hills in the woods were pretty scary for decline, all rocks, and what not, so several places I walked my bike. But I realized it too late, I fell off my bike twice going to the lake, and once more coming back up the wooded area. Luckily I was not really hurt, but absolutely covered in mud (when I get those pictures I will post them on my instagram, and update to this blog)

So as you can imagine, after taking that spill, I was completely covered from the mud pit that I could not ride through, as was my bike, which made shifting my gears all the harder after those 2 spills. But then you were at the spot where you drop your bikes, check in, and go a little farther with your bikes, and that was a very STEEP decline, and pretty slippery as well. So like I said, my biked was covered in mud, the shifters would not easily shift, so, only one thing to do, take it to the lake! And everybody told me I did not need to bring my bike, EVERYBODY, but when they looked at my bike, and realize it was a good idea. So when i entered the water, I just threw my bike in and shook off the worst of the mud, It helped me immensely, but walking my bike back up to the drop area was pretty hard. The good thing about the swim though, was that you could wade through it, which I did, I really can not swim well, I am barely in the water. So If you are thinking of doing this race, but can not swim 300 meters, don't worry, it was waist deep for a 6'1 guy, so for most people, no higher than chest deep, on the deeper end. But still deep enough that you can swim, I tried, but could only get a few strokes, like I said, I need to work on it. Also it was cool that a bunch of other people were wading through the water, the guy standing at the entrance to the water was commenting on the fact that it was a swim, and a bunch of people were wading through the water. Then it was back up the hill after checking in with the volunteer, and there was a bunch of walking your bike until you. There were a few points that you could ride your bike, but then it was up to walking your bike again. Next it was the 7 miles back the way you came, back to the farm. It is important to note, the roads were open, but it is a quite are of Vermont, and I think I saw about 6 cars, and the roads were marked with race in progress, and volunteers at every turn, and a few more at the straights, and cross roads, they were great! They told you were to go, and gave you the all clear when you got near, as well as directions. Things to keep in mind, It will most likely be muddy when this race is done again next year, and your bike will kick up mud, you may get it in your eyes, which makes going about 20ish mph down a rocky road pretty scary with one eye open, So maybe a cheap pair of shades to keep you eyes clear would help in that area. The trails were mostly clear, I did not run into many issues there, but there were several small branches that hit me wile trying to avoid pot holes on the trail, minor grip, but need to be mentioned. They didn't really hurt, they were small, but it would have been nice to but be whipped by them, again small grip, and was the only negative I noticed.

GPS of bike/swim Curtsey of Paul Jones

GPS of obstacle course Curtsey of Paul Jones


Then you go back to the farm, where the start line is, and you drop off your bike on the rack, a quick change of shoes, quick snack, and electrolytes, it was off to start one of the hardest ocr courses out there. This is a great course, I loved the polar bear challenge, and the link will give more detailed info on the course/ But basically, harder than almost any other ocr, and this course does not have to many hills, I would love to see what they could do with more hills. There are definitely some super steep parts, but they are short compared to a mountain.

Things to note. Shale hill has several levels for this event. They offer Journeyman division, so when you fail an obstacle, and trust me you will, this course is really hard, and has 70 obstacles, You only had to do 10 jumping jacks. Also you had the option of doing the 5k course, It cuts out some of the harder obstacles, but you still get some challenging ones, I think it is still like 50 obstacles (hard to tell, I have not done it, and they are always adding obstacles. Then you could do Power class, Which was one lap around the 10k course (ish, I think It was 6.6 or so, I think that RDs from VT do not know how to tell distance, or any other RDs for that matter, ocrs are never what you think) and has about 70ish obstacles. Elite was 2 laps around the obstacle course, and instead of a 300 meter swim, it was 600, 2 laps around the swim portion. For power and elite division, you had to do 25 spiderman pushups for each failed obstacle, but the tarzan swing you had to do 50, and 25 for each section of the great wall.

New obstacles, The coffin was just put in, right after the great wall. It is a box, long and narrow, uphill, with a slick back. You get finger holes that only allow about 2 fingers (unless you are tiny) to pull yourself up through the box. I ripped my palm there, nothing too bad, but just be warned, It is tough. Also it has become an area for spiders (daddy long legs it looked like) were taking home there.
Another new one, currently unnamed, It is after the firemans pole, where their used to be tires to run through. It is a traverse, you can choose baseballs, hanging tires, or a taught chain. The tires are easier, but, It is a robsatacle, and it is not as easy as other races. The baseballs are just like ninja warrior stlye hanging, and really hard to do. The chains are super really hard to do, and not recommended, as the chains can easily rip up your hands, so be careful and forewarned. The tires are doable, and then the last few are more challenging with the distance between them.

Side notes, I finally got the great wall, that thing is hard, Like the new spartan z wall, but it was standing long before spartan angled their traverse walls. Also it is 5 walls connected by boards, either by one you walk on, or one that is overhead, and you have to move backwards (I find it easier) by shuffling your hands up 1 by 6 boards (I think, not fully sure on the dimensions) So yeah it is hard. I failed the lincoln logs, (exactly what you think, a hanging giant lincoln log you have to climb, and touch the top of the support structure) my quads would not let me grip the log. The fireman's tower, I also could not grip the pole to climb up. The new obstacle, I made it to the 2nd to last obstacle. Monkey bars, they are also longer than spartan, or other ocrs, I was like 3 away from the end, and then I was not making the uphill ones. The uphill ines are farther apart, and UPHILL, so yeah, I failed those. Then the one thing I am hoping to get, but really need stronger biceps, are his tarzan ropes (not sure if that is the real name) A whole bunch of ropes to swing across (think longer than anything else you have seen easily more than 20 ropes, and finally a wall to climb before you can touch the ground.


Awards ceremony, I got 3rd, in 18 to 35! Photo credit Paul Jones
Prize pack for 3rd, plus a few credits
So on a more personal note for this blog, this race was epic, and for me personally, I am more than pleased at a few things that happened that day. First, I podiumed!, first time ever!!, I placed 3rd in my age group Power 18-35. I also qualified for ocr world championships (I think for a second time, but never got confirmation about another race, but was assured I did). But almost more important, I spent the race focusing on how I felt, destroyed, my quads were destroyed on the ocr course, I cramped several times, and my leg completely ceased solid once. So I did not have confidence in my abilities that day, But I did well, and sometimes you need to take a step back, ignore what is in your head, and just go for it. I was told I was doing good for a bunch of the course. Complimented on my bike ride, and placement on course, I thought nothing of it, I felt bad, could not run much, yada, yada, yada. Eventually somebody told me that I was in the top 10 (which at the time included elite division, I was in Power, but both were competitive, so I guess it counts. It is just hard to think I was doing well, as there were just under 40 people (as my friend says, "don't screw up a good story by giving away too many details"...... oops) But apparently It was a good day for me, and my 5hr 11min ish time was good enough to place me, I got 4th overall in Power, A complete surprise when I was told.

Until Next time
Stay active
Stephen


53RodericksStephenM299:009:4417 MIN10:0111:0211:122:18XX5:14:003










Isn't mud fun!

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool concept for an OCR. I'm curious about the biking portion—it seems like it's more akin to off-road mountain biking than day-to-day road biking. I love the latter (it's my main form of transportation) but have never done the former. Is that a fair assessment? And how much work did you need to do to get your bike in running condition after the race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly fire roads, minimal paved roads, it is rural VT. The begining 1/2 mile at the farm, and last 3/4 by the lake were rugged trail type biking. And I just hosed off my bike after, still has some mud, but is good to go again

      Delete