Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Boston Marathon: Voices Against Violence

So, things are starting to get real for me now. I just got an email telling me I got my first pick for a charity to raise funds for. Voices Against Violence is an organization that helps those who are suffering from domestic violence, and sexual abuse. I have heard stories from far too many friends that have suffered from this through my life. Now is my chance to help out, and make a difference! I am so excited to be able to help those in need. It makes running the Boston Marathon that much more special to me! I have had many friends offer up help, and I will be reaching out to everybody for ideas and help of any kind. The goal is 2,500, but I would like to see what I can do, and plan to surpass that amount. Alright enough about me. This is about the charity I chose to help as best I can.

About Voices

Voices' mission is to end sexual and domestic violence. Voices staff members work to empower victims and survivors to help themselves and their children. Program Advocates work in partnership with individuals and families to ensure their safety, create stable home environments, gain independence, and to develop personal and economic self-sufficiency. Voices is also a social change organization, working toward the elimination of violence on a societal level through community education, primary prevention and increased public awareness and action. Voices also works in close collaboration with public safety and criminal justice professionals throughout the region.
Voices is a proud core member of Jane Doe, Inc., the Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence

Services

Voices provides free and confidential services to victims and survivors of sexual and domestic violence in the MetroWest area. Services are provided in English, Spanish, and Portuguese and are available to everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
Services include a 24-hour hotline, crisis intervention, confidential short term emergency shelter, counseling and support groups, information and referrals, and medical, legal and criminal justice advocacy. Voices also offers Supervised Vistation services on a sliding fee schedule through KidSpace. For more information about KidSpace, please call 508-962-2643.
In addition to direct services for victims and survivors, Voices conducts outreach and education to community groups and professionals, as well as primary prevention activities to address the root causes of violence and prevent the development of perpetration

 (these two paragraphs were pulled from their web site)

Some more info about this organization can be found on their web site here.

So keep me, and more importantly this organization in mind, It would mean the world to me, whatever help you can give!

Here is my fundraising link:

Until next time
Stay active
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment