Monday, April 11, 2016

Boston Marathon: Team Framingham 2016

Hello all!

Sorry I have not updated at all this year, life has gotten in the way. First this I will say is this, I have done 3 races this year, a winter 5k in NH that gave you a free hoodie with each entry, that was pretty cool (the name escapes me, but it was just shy of a full 5k, and the hoodie is awesome!). I did Polar bear, (more like brown bear due to lack of snow this winter) and it was as fun as shale hill always is. Also there was blizzard blast, missing snow, fun, but needed snow.

Now onto the new stuff since the last Boston post! 

So the benefits of running for a charity are awesome! The town selectmen has been doing the Boston marathon for a long time, and he has been a great help for all the things that you need to know about Boston marathon. Team Framingham benefits 6 local charities, and Greater Framingham Running Club has been there to support. We have had several meetings, handing out applications, going over the online donations site, and running tips for anybody that asked. There were a few long runs organized, down and backs on the course. They also got us t shirts, and parking at the 21 mile mark on the course and transportation to the start line. It has been awesome getting all the pointers, and the people that were out on the course on charity day just giving out food/water/gatoraide/guus to all the runners on their yards were awesome. The charities were checking on their teams, and giving out stiff to any runner that wanted it, it was an awesome atmosphere! There were even cops directing traffic along the course. In Natick on speen street, the bridge over 128 in wellesley, at the fire station (in newton?) and through spots on the hills through heartbreak, and just by the college. It was a great 21 miler!

My training though, has been horrible, I hurt my ankle, very slightly, but also my knee in Jan, right when I was improving all levels of speed! then when that got better my heel has been upset, luckily mostly with cross training. Then my hips have been messed up due to issues with my psoas! Luckily I have a great healer, she helps me with fixing my body through various forms of massage, and tricks to help me fix stuff on my own. due to that, and being sick, my long runs were never more than a 1/2, blisters were forming around11/12, really bad ones, again, due to hips. so it was 13ish, 13ish, 10. Luckily I knew I could run longer, but when you add mileage, and do not add more repair time, problems come up! The couch ridden 3 or 4 days before charity day were bad, the flu sucks, my stomach did not want to run, luckily I was better by charity day.

Due to the lack of training, I probably will not get sub 4hr like I had wanted. but I did pr a 10 miler a few days ago, wile I am supposed to be tapering, maybe that is a good sign, now to keep my pacing on race day! So now the new goal is to beat baystate (4:45) and to keep running, though I may skip heartbreak hill. Because it is more important to finish running, and most time running, if I walk a hill it will not be the end.

Also, some tips for what I have learned for fundraising!

Raffles are great!

 I raised $200 bucks with mine! I was very lucky in a few ways with that. First a friend of mine was looking to use some well crafted wood work for charity. He gave me a jewelry box, 2 candle holders, a fancy wine holder, and a cheese tray. The woman that has been healing my body for years, even before I was an athlete, gave me a gift certificate for an hour to raffle off. 

I also went to several business in the area asking for donations. This is what I got: $50 Target gift card, $25 Stop and shop gift card, about $40 bucks worth of food from trader joes in the form of a raffle bag with an Italian theme. And a few mugs, and water bottles, and pins/key chains/pins from my charity, those helped make the raffle winnings bigger, and easier to sell for $5 a pop.

Dining for a cause

So most restaurants offer a kick back, as part of a standard package for a charity night. Most will require a card that they email to you, and then print and hand out. Then when your friends pay their bill you get a percentage sent as a check to your charity. the percentage varies, I have seen from 10% to 20%. Many will have an all day thing going, or you can have a set time. I saw some people doing what I should have, which is combine the two, and charge at the door. For example, 26 bucks at the door, comes with a beer and small food, and you can buy raffle tickets. Careful as some times this flops, plan to do several things to help, multiple time, you will have a lot of money to raise!

My first one had a small showing, it was fun, but not as much raised as I would have hoped. The second, a charity rep showed up to talk, but not many else, it was family, and a friend. But I got stuff for my raffle from them so it helped. It was a bust, but not everything works, all you can do is try!


Games

So with the timing of Boston, and when you get your charity acceptance, the Superbowl will be taking place. This is great for something called Superbowl squares, sell them for $10 or $20 a square and you get 500/1000. Do it like a 50/50 raffle, 1/2 to the winner, 1/2 to the charity. plus you can always say that it would be great to donate the winnings to whoever wins, I had 2 awesome people give back their winnings!

Also march madness brackets fall in the time before your money is due, and cbs, and espn allow for small groups to do that, and do all the work for you. That way you do not have to know anything about the rules to use it as a tool to raise money! That is exactly what happened in my case. Also I used the gift cards as prize that way the winnings all went to the charity, if you get a few gift cards you could do the same for super bowl squares.

Social media

This one is the most obvious, and also my most effective way of raising funds, by just posting the link. Most people will donate something, even people who do not run, and do not understand the fact that you are required to raise the money, or pay out of your own pocket to cover the rest. It also helps when you have a great cause to promote.

Work

This one was kind of a surprise to me. I mean I know, I spend a whole bunch of time there, but still, no runners there, and not sure how people felt. BIG MISTAKE, I had a bunch of help from several people there! (it also helps my brother works with me and has been a big supporter, and talking about it a bunch to people) Just talk to coworkers! Even people that do not know how far a marathon is, or anything like that, in Massachusetts, everybody knows about the Boston marathon, especially those that live near the course! And many people will want to help when they understand that you have to raise money to get in.


Also, something to keep in mind. People really do come out of the wood work to help with something like this, people you would never expect to get money from, or from across the country, or from way long ago. But there are also people who say they will give, but never do, stuff happens, and you never know what is going on in their lives. That is why I never push, and do not hold it against them.

As for me, I gave up on a venue that never got back to me, regardless how many times I was told they would help me. So instead, I threw myself a birthday party, invited a bunch of friends, and then raffled off the last of the stuff I had. It was great. I really stink at hosting a bunch of people I am better with a few. Luckily for me, I had help from my Mom, and Brother, and my friends all had fun, and money as raised. I am lucky that I had a birthday, and that I have my own place that I can just throw my own, and not worry about a venue not working out.

One thing is for sure, running for a cause is very different than any other time I have run. Also this is Boston, a potentially once in a life time experience (we will see about that, one day I will qualify!). I can not tell you how many times I have gotten teary eyed thinking about my cause. In case you are new, or missed my conversations, or facebook posts, I will tell you. Voices Against Violence is based in framingham, and helps those who are suffering from domestic violence, and rape crisis. They offer a wide variety of services for free. they are active in the community trying to educate and raise awareness to help make a difference before problems arise, they reach out to schools, try and effect change in policies, etc. They also work closely with any and all branches of local government, police and the like to assist in legal cases if needed, and safe housing. They make me feel all warm inside helping them. It is funny when they are impressed with the fact that I am running a marathon, that is way easier than what they do, so it gives me extra joy to assist them in raising funds so they can keep doing the good they do for the surrounding communities!

I am sure you can see where this is going next! PLEASE help me reach my goal, as I am typing this, I have only $150 to go to my goal of $2,500!!! I would love to get more, everything will help, but I really want to prove to myself that I can make this work. the link is here to donate.


Also, This looks like it could be a warm marathon this year, should be interesting if it gets too warm! Now I am off to hydrate, carbo load, and get electrolytes in me, all wile running slower, this should be fun. at least I have the baa 5k, and marathon expo to calm me down..... or hype me up!

To read up on all that I have posted check below for other posts about my experience with Boston so far:
As always
Until next time
Stay Active
Stephen 

No comments:

Post a Comment